>>over time. My general feeling about performance in Pike is also that in
>>many cases these things do not make a huge difference. However, feel
>
>True.  Then again, I'm planning on having large Pike farms serving
>hundreds of Socket.IO clients/browsers.  Then performance starts to matter.

These kinds of micro-optimizations are better addressed in the
langauge itself. Unless the programmer knows Pike internals they are
often not effective.

>All that said, if a Pike 8.0 release needs to be done and the code is not
>deemed sanctioned/stable yet, I'll happily (temporarily) strip it back out
>again, and then reschedule putting it back in at some later point in time.

Pike 8.0 is the stable branch and releases are attempted once a
month. Only put things in 8.0 that you are happy to be released in the
state you check them in.