(Apologies, this originally went only to Duke)

Hi Duke-

That’s a good place to start. I think it may be less up-to-date than the
tutorial[1] on the pike website, which is also useful if you’re completely new.
I think Hubbe’s material has some interesting low level information, so a
combination of the two are a good ground level introduction.

If you want a physical object, then you might look at Pike: An Introduction[2],
which is a greatly expanded version of the tutorial. It’s also available from
Amazon and others, if that’s an easier approach.

Note that none of these cover the newest features in Pike 7.8 and 8.0, but I’m
slowly working on updates that would coincide with a release of 8.2.

If you’ve read at least one of the 3 above, then I’d recommend looking through
the release notes[3] for 7.8 and 8.0 to get an idea of the new features.

Some other items:

- If you’re interested in the Calendar module, there’s a pretty useful FAQ[4]
in the source directory.
- The “Unofficial Pike FAQ”[5], which shows its age but has a lot of good
material.
- And there’s also the Pike Wiki[6], which contains a bunch of interesting
articles on particular language features such as:
   Annotations, a new feature in 8.1
   Debugger, a soon to land feature in 8.1 (with some details about how to try
it out yourself)
   Writing Testsuites
- More generally, some links from the gotpike[7] landing page.

I think there’s more information out on the internet to be found, but google
makes this more difficult by assuming that “pike” is a synonym for “rob pike”,
which skews results in an entirely different direction! And of course, specific
comments and suggestions of needs are welcome. We’re also happy to help get you
started if you want to tackle something yourself.

Bill

[1] http://pike.lysator.liu.se/docs/tut/
[2] https://www.lulu.com/content/78730
[3] http://pike.lysator.liu.se/download/notes/