On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 9:10 PM Robert J. Budzyński
<robert.budzyn...@fuw.edu.pl> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 7:44 AM Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 2:44 PM James Latham <jrlatha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Dear Pike lovers:
>> > Thanks for the very informative Blog that you have created.
>> > I would love to join in.
>> > Is there any way to create a distributable pike program?
>> > Ideally it would be all in one module.
>> > Jim Latham
>>

>> Yes, absolutely! I've often made one-file Pike programs. For instance,
>> I have a git hook that I use in a number of projects, and it's all
>> contained in one file (called, surprisingly enough, "githook.pike"),
>> marked executable, and with an appropriate shebang.
>>
>> ChrisA
>>

> Er, that assumes the pike runtime is available. I believe what Jim had in
> mind was a situation where you can't assume that on the user's end.

Oh. Having had experience with this kind of thing in Python, I am of
the opinion that it's a lot more hassle than it's worth. Trying to
make a single executable that runs on every target platform is a
nightmare, so what usually happens is that someone spins up a thing
using the exact version of Python and Windows (it's always Windows) on
the dev system, and it won't run properly on other systems.

Much much cleaner to distribute a script and then have the interpreter
installed elsewhere.

What would be nice, though, would be to have a cross-platform way to
have a script say "hey, I need this, if you don't have it please
install it".

ChrisA