Hello Michael,

On 2013-07-29 17:06, Michael Wessel wrote:

I installed Piler last night to check it out and test it and have it
all up and running now.

So far I like it a lot (though I had to jump through a few hoops to
get it all working).

share with us, and I'll review the install procedure to fix them

One question I have is how do I backup and restore? It's listed as a
feature but not documented from what I have seen.

Is it a simple matter of rsyncing the /var/piler directory? And in
case a restore is needed I just put it all back and it'll work (plus
the database of course)?

Is there a recommended procedure?

piler has 3 kinds of data:

- emails (/var/piler/store)
- sphinx database (/var/piler/sphinx)
- mysql database

in order to make a backup you have to save these data. If you can see
/var/piler/store/00 then you may find directories like 51b, 51c, 51d, ... They come from the timestamp, and each of them contains ~12 days of emails,
so you don't have to rsync old dirs since they don't change any more.

It's also a good idea (although it depends on your setup) to create a mysql
replica, so you have kinda backup of your database.

Sphinx has fewer although bigger files.

However there's another approach: to export emails (with pilerexport), then in
case of a restore, you can import them (with pilerimport).

pilerexport is able to retrieve all emails of the given day to the current directory, eg, pilerexport --start-date 2013.07.29 --stop-date 2013.07.29

Then you can move it to tape, etc. This latter approach is a more lightweight one, you have to deal with less data, however a complete restore takes more time.

And a minor issue - the health monitor permanently shows a red bar
and no text for the CPU usage. The cron job is set up and seems to
produce the correct result:

cat /var/piler/stat/cpu.stat
99.43

Regardless of the value in cpu.stat all I see is the red bar.

Any ideas?

Try replacing $11 with $10 in piler's crontab.

Janos