From: platform-dev <platform-dev-boun...@eclipse.org> On Behalf Of Andrey
Loskutov
Sent: 24 March 2022 03:57
To: Eclipse platform general developers list. <platform-dev@eclipse.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [platform-dev] Github workflow

Am 22. März 2022 14:11:21 MEZ schrieb Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurt...@redhat.com>:
>Please bear with us while we try to improve the contributor workflow
>with the limited time we have. And keep asking each step and
>requirement as only that way we will figure what is really needed and
>brings benefit and what is done just because we are used to it without any
>real gain.

The discussion here shows that despite the claims that "we are standing on the
shoulders of the giants" and "just follow github workflow" we need a dedicated
wiki / readme for committers and contributors with the recommendations how to
contribute. Mailing list discussion is fine, but that is not a document I can
give to someone who wants to contribute.

With more platform projects moving to github the problem affects more people
now.
I would really appreciate of people that know the "right" github workflow would
provide such documentation for the platform.

I personally can commit & merge in github but I've learned that *everything* I
did in github before in my other (non platform) contributions is *not* the
"recommended" way, so I'm really interested to follow some "preferred"
guidelines. I also hope to have only one and not different guidelines, even if
there could be lot of different ways to commit something to the master.

Below just few items where I see need for clear documentation or process
improvements based on my personal experience so far.

I don't like forks and used to have branches on main repo - not recommended.
I don't like multiple commits in one PR and always use amend/force push - not
recommended.
I never use command line git and do everything from Eclipse - but some
recommended to use git CLI.
Egit support missing or not - not clear. What exactly is missing, why CLI is
needed?
It is unclear / undocumented how to *properly* refer to bugs in commits (full
url? repo-name/id? just id?).
It is unclear if we should now use dedicated github bug trackers *per
repository* to report bugs, or will be there some higher level bug tracker for
entire platform organization?
Once the PR is created, I see that builds somehow triggered in equinox, but I
neither get mails that they are stared nor they are finished.
TBC...

--
Kind regards,
Andrey Loskutov

https://www.eclipse.org/user/aloskutov
Спасение утопающих - дело рук самих утопающих