On 2007-06-03 18:20-0400 Hazen Babcock wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've added the Cairo driver family to PLplot. This includes:
>
> xcairo (formally known as xwinttf).
> pdfcairo (PDF)
> pscairo (PS)
> svgcairo (SVG)
> pngcairo (PNG)
> memcairo (MEM)
>
> Known issues:
> 1. If you have Cairo but not X Windows your build will likely fail
> since I still haven't solved the pre-processor directive problem I
> mentioned Yesterday.
> 2. The svgcairo driver does not display text properly. I'm not really
> sure what to do about this one since it seems to be an issue with the
> cairo library.
> 3. The pngcairo driver does not support multiple pages. You only get
> one page, which is the last page that you drew. This could be fixed
> by having the driver generate multiple files, say my-graph.png, my-
> graph-2.png, etc... I don't think the PNG format itself supports
> multiple page output.

That is correct.  The way this is taken care of for the png device (as well
as jpeg and gif) for gd.c is to use the normal PLplot familying facility
(see
http://plplot.sourceforge.net/docbook-manual/plplot-html-5.7.3/output-devices.html#familying).
It's a bit tricky to set up, but if you follow what is done for gd.c, you
should be fine.  I thought you might have inadvertently set up familying
already simply by following what is done in gd.c, but apparently not since
the -fam command-line option only gives the same last page of example 8 that
you get without the option.

> 4. The memcairo driver is untested. It appears that a side effect of
> a call to plsmem is to force PLplot to use the "mem" driver. An
> attempt to overide this behavior by calling plsdev("memcairo") after
> the plsmem call but before plinit was unsuccessful.
> 5. Plots output by the pscairo driver do not fit the page, i.e. there
> is a largish white margin on two sides of a plot.
>
> All the drivers are off by default so you will have to turn them on
> to test them, if you are so inclined.

I didn't bother with memcairo, but I built all the rest with no build errors
on Ubuntu Dapper.

I have only done the most superficial tests of the built results, but I
immediately noticed two issues on Linux beyond what you mentioned.

(1) the 'ldd -r cairo.so' test showed the
following problems:

undefined symbol: cairo_ps_surface_create       (./cairo.so)
undefined symbol: cairo_pdf_surface_create      (./cairo.so)
undefined symbol: cairo_svg_surface_create      (./cairo.so)

It's fairly urgent to solve these problems since it excludes any testing of
the pscairo, pdfcairo, or svgcairo devices on Linux.

(2)  ./x08c -dev xcairo shows only the first page of that example.

Hazen, I am really happy you are developing all these promising
cairo-related devices.