On 2007-06-04 21:17-0400 Hazen Babcock wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2007, at 7:30 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:

>> (1) the 'ldd -r cairo.so' test showed the
>> following problems:
>>
>> undefined symbol: cairo_ps_surface_create       (./cairo.so)
>> undefined symbol: cairo_pdf_surface_create      (./cairo.so)
>> undefined symbol: cairo_svg_surface_create      (./cairo.so)
>>
>> It's fairly urgent to solve these problems since it excludes any testing
>> of
>> the pscairo, pdfcairo, or svgcairo devices on Linux.
>
> Maybe this is because I have Cairo v1.2.6 and debian testing is v1.2.4?
> According the cairo docs these functions have been in the library since 1.2.

Actually, my platform is Ubuntu Dapper (released almost exactly a year ago)
which has version 1.0.4 of the cairo library.  So that explains the missing
symbols for my platform. Note, _some_ Ubuntu Dapper platforms are going to
be around for a long time since Canonical plans to support it for 3 years on
the desktop (and 5 years on the server).  However, I am not sure the
majority of desktop users will actually use Ubuntu Dapper that long since
even a one-year old Linux desktop is already way out of date thanks to the
huge pace of change for Linux development.  (A case in point is this already
old libcairo version for Ubuntu Dapper).  For example, I plan to move to
Debian testing as soon as I can find the time to do the install.

That's the best background I can give you about how relevant libcairo-1.0.4
will be in the future, and I will let you be the judge whether you want to
support this older version of libcairo or not.  I hope to install debian
testing some time this summer after I finish my current research project,
and after that old libcairo versions won't be an issue for me.

>> (2)  ./x08c -dev xcairo shows only the first page of that example.
>
> Hm. On OS-X I get a bus error. It is interesting that it works fine if you
> just type ./x08c and then choose the driver.

./x08c -dev xcairo now actually pretty much works for me.  I finally figured
out that you should hit CR in the xterm where that command-line is typed and
not the GUI (at least when threading is not turned on).

Now that I know how to run it, "./x08c -dev xcairo" shows some issues.

(1) The 3D labelling needs work on the transformation to determine the
rotation and slew of each letter.  I thought there was now standard code
in the plplot library for that?  Or is it a bug in that standard code?

(2) Memory management issues

Here is the associated error message (after I hit one additional CR after
the last page of example 8 is displayed)

*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev): 0x08050358 ***

Unless there is some internal problem in the Ubuntu Dapper libraries (this
is possible since these are old versions of each library) it sounds like
your code might be trying to free something that has already been freed.