On 2008-08-29 01:43-0700 Jerry wrote:

> I've started a discussion of this problem on comp.lang.ada but so far
> it's a lot of arcane language but no solution.
>
> Is there at least one other machine besides Alan's Debian on Intel
> Duo that reports this runtime error on Ada example 19? Maybe I've
> missed it, but as far as I recall there have been no other reports. I
> don't want knock myself out with this if it happens on only one box.

It's been seen on every 64-bit machine that has been tested.
See
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=489B8116.3070603%40cora.nwra.com
(Orion's 64-bit result), and
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=20080811205031.GD1359%40gandalf.rivendell
(Andrew's 64-bit result).

Presumably, those platforms will also show the same error for the simple
test case (my modification of Jerry's original simple test that I attached
earlier in this thread) that is independent of PLplot.

Meanwhile, Jerry, my advice is to focus on asking your contacts at
comp.lang.ada to run the simple example on their various 32-bit and 64-bit
platforms to attempt to confirm the issue.  Hopefully the bulk of the
discussion will occur after that evidence is in.

I have tried to use that same "get the evidence" mindset for the Debian bug
report on this issue I just put together, see