Hi Dmitri (off list):

On 2009-06-25 05:36+0300 Dmitri Gribenko wrote:

> Thanks, this [new build system] worked fine for me.

Great!

> Could you add this information to README.qt_example?  Currently it doesn't
suggest anything about cmake and the Makefile (that doesn't work) is being
installed in the examples/c++ directory.

Everything is undocumented because the new build system is _really_ new, but
I will document it in the wiki, and I will simply refer to the wiki in the
part of README.qt_example which currently discusses the build steps.

> I suggested splitting not because of any technical reason, but for
> readability.  Really, there is a ton of macros already there.  And
> this one divides the file exactly in two parts where one (qt.so)
> depends on another (libplplotqtd.so), but not the other way
> (libplplotqtd.so doesn't depend on qt.so).

Let's proceed in steps.

1. Get everything to work with qt.cpp unsplit both for DYNDRIVERS ON and OFF
and for the new and old build system for the installed examples.  I would
also like to see the pyqt4 extension module (which also depends on
libplplotqtd) working for the first time as well.  Unless you prefer
something different, tomorrow (Thursday) I will work on this including
checking in your current patch to the unsplit version of qt.cpp (assuming it
works for me as well as it did above for you).

2. Split qt.cpp and confirm things still work for the four cases (DYNDRIVERS
ON and OFF and for the new and old build system) and also for the pyqt4
extension module.  I actually think splitting qt.cpp into device driver code
and a library is generally a good idea.  However, there are some build
system issues to be aware of for the DYNDRIVERS OFF case, but it should be
fairly straightforward to solve them once we have 1. working in all cases.

3. Document.