On 2010-05-12 20:03-0500 Geoffrey Furnish wrote:

> To humor you further, here's another take on the script (with $HOME manually
> substituted):
>
> % cat ../run_cmake
> #!/bin/sh
>
> rm -rf *
> env CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/furnish/devel/8.4/prefix \
>    CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH=/home/furnish/devel/8.4/prefix/include \
>    CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/furnish/devel/8.4/prefix/lib \
>    cmake .. |& tee cmake.out
>
> % ../run_cmake
> -- Looking for include paths and libraries for Tcl/Tk
> -- Found Tclsh: /home/furnish/devel/8.4/prefix/bin/tclsh
> -- Found TCL: /usr/lib64/libtcl.so
> -- Found TCLTK: /usr/lib64/libtcl.so
> -- Found TK: /usr/lib64/libtk.so
> -- Looking for include paths and libraries for Tcl/Tk - found
> -- Looking for tclsh
> -- Looking for tclsh - found
> -- TCL_TCLSH = /home/furnish/devel/8.4/prefix/bin/tclsh
> -- TCL_INCLUDE_PATH = /home/furnish/devel/8.4/prefix/include
> -- TCL_LIBRARY = /usr/lib64/libtcl.so
> -- Itcl not available or not compatible with current Tcl shell
> -- TK_INCLUDE_PATH = /home/furnish/devel/8.4/prefix/include;/usr/include
> -- TK_LIBRARY =
> /usr/lib64/libtk.so;/usr/lib64/libSM.so;/usr/lib64/libICE.so;/usr/lib64/libX11.so;/usr/lib64/libXext.so
>

> Still wrong.

Hi Geoffrey:

Thanks for running that test. As far as I am concerned that demonstrates a
gross cmake bug.

To anticipate the first question that will be asked when I report this
issue, what version of cmake are you running? If it is a system version, I
wonder if your Linux distro applied some really dumb patch to always favor
/usr/lib64/ as the first place to look for libraries regardless of how
CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH is set.

To take this further could you please try building cmake-2.8.1 (see
directions at http://cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html) and use that
version instead for the above test if that is not what you are already
doing?  That's the version I use for my testing with cmake-2.8.x these days.

If cmake-2.8.1 built from kitware source shows the bad find result you
demonstrated above, then I will take this up further with the cmake list.