> My central point in all of this, is that PLplot's CBS is very aggravating for
> people who like to build software with very carefully composed prefix
> components, which should be the same on all systems.

For my big software project, I do exactly this. Compiling all my 3rd
party libraries in a special directory and let cmake find it - no
problems here, even if the libraries are already in the system
(wxwidgets, plplot). So, it's definitely not a problem of cmake (at
least not from the core), but maybe from the FindTCL.cmake module).

 PLplot's CBS is perhaps
> well suited for developers who are happy to use whatever is on each system.
> But I'm mostly in the former category.  I like to build my whole application
> with always exactly those components that I've qualified, and so building up
> the prefix is part of porting the application to another platform.

This is exactly what I'm doing with most of my projects and so far I had
no problem with cmake, totally opposite, I was glad that it worked for 3
platforms practically out of the box.

Regards,
Werner

>  PLplot's
> CBS makes it very difficult to practice this type of disciplined software
> development, because it constantly ignores what's in the target installation
> prefix.  This makes it very hard to control exactly what is in your
> application.

> -Geoff

- --
Dr. Werner Smekal