Hello,

I had a look yesterday at the Tcl examples and at the way we produce the
bindings for Tcl and suddenly realised that we do not use the stubs
mechanism, even though the source code is prepared for them (it requires
a flag USE_TCL_STUBS and linking against the stubs library).

The advantage of using stubs is that the resulting bindings do not
depend on the shared libraries/DLLs that were used at link time, but
instead they use the libraries that tclsh/pltcl/plserver/... load
at run-time. Thus, which libraries and even which version of Tcl
are available is far less critical than with the current set-up.

(The matrix extension seems to be prepared to add a stubs library
of itself - according to the start-up code, but that is not reflected in
the matrix code.)

When we have done the new release, I want to look at this issue. It will
require changes to the FindTcl.cmake module and I do not know yet how it
interfers with Geoff's requirements, but it seems a real pity that
currently we do not use this mechanism at all.

Regards,

Arjen