On 2016-12-15 11:24-0500 Pedro Vicente wrote:

> Hi Alan
>

> Success
>
> The solution is to override the Show() function of the window, that is called
> in the demo.
> So no need to modify the demo at all with a custom function call.
>

> in wxPLplotwindow.h I just added this function
>
> template<class WXWINDOW>
> bool wxPLplotwindow<WXWINDOW>::Show(bool show)
> {
>  wxLogDebug("wxPLplotwindow::Show");
>  CreateStream();
>  WXWINDOW::Show(show);
>
> }
>
> where
> CreateStream();
> is a new internal function of the class that contains the code that is now in
> OnCreate()
>
> the 2 files are attached
> they contain a couple of debug messages
>
> this is the sequence I get
>
> 11:13:52: Debug: wxPLplotwindow
> 11:13:52: Debug: frame->Create
> 11:13:52: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::Show
> 11:13:52: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::CreateStream
> 11:13:52: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::RenewPlot
> 11:13:52: Debug: Plot()
> 11:13:52: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::RenewPlot
> 11:13:52: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::RenewPlot
> 11:13:52: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::OnCreate
> 11:13:52: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::CreateStream
> 11:13:52: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::OnErase
>

> as you can see the stream is NOT NULL when we get at
> 11:13:52: Debug: Plot()

I get something different here

12:45:37: Debug: wxPLplotwindow
12:45:37: Debug: frame->Create
12:45:37: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::Show
12:45:37: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::CreateStream
12:45:37: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::RenewPlot
12:45:37: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::RenewPlot
12:45:37: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::RenewPlot
12:45:37: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::OnCreate
12:45:37: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::CreateStream
12:45:37: Debug: Plot()
12:45:37: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::RenewPlot
12:45:37: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::OnErase
12:45:43: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::OnErase
12:45:45: Debug: wxPLplotwindow::OnErase
PLMemoryMap::close: just entering close
[100%] Built target test_wxPLplotDemo

Perhaps this different result is why the issue did not cause
any problems on my system?

But regardless of that system difference issue, your changes work
here, and also work there.  So a big thanks for that fundamental
fix for the problem!

Important!  Also please follow the cookbook instructions in
README.developers to format your change in "git format-patch" form. (I
just [commit ae4af16] updated those instructions with you in mind so I
hope you will find them easy to follow.)

The alternative is I could just go ahead and commit your changed files
here, but then that would give me git credit for your work (as seen
by, e.g., git log, git blame, etc.) so I far prefer you to use "git
format-patch" following the cookbook instructions in
README.developers.  Then I can follow up properly here with "git am"
and then merge the commit that creates here (that is identified as
yours) to master.

I think the debugging output you have in your current changes should
stay in for your commit.  Because that might help Phil understand
your changes (if he gets back in contact before the release).
Later on just before the release I plan to make an additional commit
to drop the debugging output your commit creates (and also
similarly for the debugging output I have put into -dev wxwidgets
and wxPLViewere).