Hmm - well another theory down in smoke.

Attached is an absolute minimum example of the use of wxEVT_CREATE. On
Windows I get the expected behaviour of a popup dialog appearing
before the frame saying "OnCreate called."

Could you try it on one of your Linux machines? I'm afraid it's way
past my bedtime here in the UK, so I'll have to continue tomorrow.

Phil

On 16 December 2016 at 00:56, Pedro Vicente
<pedro.vice...@space-research.org> wrote:
> Alan
>
> All my linux failures were on 3 different "real" machines (CentOS with
> personal wxwidgets 3.1 build, 2 ubuntus 14.04 16.4 from packages)
>
> the 4th linux failure was on a debian I installed on VirtualBox.
> So, it's not a VirtualBox issue.
> -Pedro
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan W. Irwin"
> <ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca>

#include <wx/wx.h>

class myFrame : public wxFrame
{
public:
	myFrame();
	~myFrame();
private:
	void OnCreate(wxWindowCreateEvent& event);
	//DECLARE_EVENT_TABLE();
};

class MyApp : public wxApp
{
public:
	virtual bool OnInit();
};

IMPLEMENT_APP(MyApp);

bool MyApp::OnInit()
{
	myFrame* frame = new myFrame();
	frame->Create(NULL, wxID_ANY, "My Frame");
	frame->Show();
	return true;
}

//BEGIN_EVENT_TABLE(mainFrame, wxFrame)
//END_EVENT_TABLE()

myFrame::myFrame()
{
	Connect(wxEVT_CREATE, wxWindowCreateEventHandler(myFrame::OnCreate));
}

void myFrame::OnCreate(wxWindowCreateEvent& event)
{
	wxMessageBox( "OnCreate called" );
}

myFrame::~myFrame()