> What is multibyte support about then? I found a reference to this in the
> archives, but it seems this is available in the I18N branch only.
> Unfortunately I still can't reach www.plkr.org or cvs.plkr.org to check
> this out.

Multibyte support is for devices, e.g., Japanese ones (I think these are the
only ones right now), which have native multibyte character sets.  These ARE
supported by most of the code.  (The search result code might not work, but
most of what I've seen will.)  So if one has a distiller that can put out
multibyte stuff, the viewer should be able to display it, even without
looking at what the encoding is supposed to be, as long as it's running on a
device that has the appropriate multibyte character set native to it.

It's a nuisance to keep all the code multibyte compatible.  But most of it
is, and I'd like to keep it there.  (The optimizations I will commit
tomorrow morning or later tonight check whether the viewer is running on an
8-bit encoded machine, and render things faster then.  I do the same thing
in the search routines, where doing it increases the search speed by a
factor of three or more.)

Alex