PalmOS 3.x.x has a filename length limit.
Any file on a memory card with too long a name either
won't be shown, will be shown with a size of 0,
or may be shown with the correct size, depending on
the application. In all cases a file with too long of
a name will not be able to be copied or moved to
onboard RAM. (Files put on the card with a seperate
card reader.) What the user _won't_ get is a correct
error message saying why*!

01234567890123456789012345678901.012

To check my filename lengths, I put the above
line in a text file then copy and paste below it,
of course using a fixed width font.

Would be nice if Plucker conversion utilities
had an option for name length checking for OS 3.x.x
and older. I don't know if OS 4.x can use longer
names, but I know 5+ can. I always have to shorten
the names on stuff I get from a friend with a
Tungsten E and Zire 72.

*I had to figure the max length out on my own,
nobody I asked, not Palm Inc. nor anyone who uses
an older PDA could tell me the number. Palm Desktop
just pops some error that says nothing _useful_ like
"Filename too long for this version of Palm OS. Please
shorten it to a maximum of 31.3 characters."

Play Chess? Ask me about JETAN at Fandemonium! www.fandemonium.org
August (Fri) 4th, (Sat) 5th & (Sun) 6th, 2006
Make your own Jetan set. http://members.ispwest.com/gregg1/jetan/jetanmod.html