Michael wrote:
> Bill Barry wrote:
>
>> With a bit more truth in advertising fewer widescreen monitors
>> would be sold.
>>

> I'm not so sure about that.  My nephew's #1 criteria for a laptop was "have to
> play my music."  Meaning it had to work seamlessly with his iPod.  #2 criteria
> was "watch movies."  Widescreen is good for that.
>
> Incidentally this was for the laptop to take to college and use for academics.

There is truth in advertising, but we apparently aren't interested in
it.  Widescreen displays appear to be based upon XGA standards, so your
vertical resolution is very near 768 or 800 pixels.  Having become used
to the real estate offered by standard screens that support SXGA and
SXGA+, and being one of the few that don't buy computers to watch
movies, I'm rather disappointed in widescreen monitor performance.

Now, two SXGA displays seamlessly side by side would be my idea of
widescreen.