On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 07:55:31PM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> #! /bin/bash
> su #'cause only root can set the time
> ntpdate 0.pool.ntp.org
> hwclock --systohc
>
> When I try to run it as jjj it asks for root password, I enter it,
> and then I get an authentication error. If I change to root first and
> then run it, it runs fine, and without prompting for root password.
>
> It must be the su line. How do I make a script run as root? Or can I
> fiddle with the permissions so jjj has permission to set the time, then
> just remove the su line from the script and forget about running it as
> root?

Choices, choices, choices

Change the script to:
    #!/bin/bash
    sudo ntpdate 0.pool.ntp.org
    sudo hwclock --systohc

or

Change the script to:
    #!/bin/bash
    ntpdate 0.pool.ntp.org
    hwclock --systohc
and
    invoke it by `sudo <script_name>`
or
    su
    crontab -e
    <insert line in crontab to have root run the script once every X>
    exit
or
    sudo chown root <script_name>
    sudo chmod +x <script_name>
    sudo chmod u+s <script_name>

The last one is what you asked for.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
  Trading kilograms for kilometers since 2003