Vedanta Teacher wrote on 31 Dec 2015:

>For the purposes of safety, security and anonymity I was thinking of going
to a VPN

Splendid idea! Recommend it to all my students in the Internet Security
classes I teach at FreeGeek.

>(I've already heard that ToR was hacked).

Tor-delivered content can be decrypted if the hacker has access to your
traffic arriving at your ISP plus the datastream to/from the exit node.
That's the only hack I know of,  do you know more vulns?

>Currently I'm on Ubuntu Unity 14.04 LTS.

Pretty close to my Mint 17.3

>I know that using Linux/Unix/CentOS/etc. flags me to the NSA/FBI anyway

Not as much as hundreds of other things,  and since they appear to have an
extremely limited ability to read what they take, it will be decades before
your stuff gets decrypted.

>I actually have my wireless router on a power strip so that I can power it
on/off as needed and, randomly, to confuse and/or frustrate anyone trying
to hack or use my router as well.

Confusion to the damn enemy!

> Any ideas on VPN would be appreciated.

Do not use a VPN unless its exit node is outside the Five Eyes compact of
the US,  UK,  Australia,  Canada,  and New Zealand.  Search in Wikipedia on
'Five Eyes'  for details.

StackSocial.com has a $19/3 year offer for VPN Unlimited I found
irresistible.  Their support techs were knowledgable,  same-day
responsive,  and nice. They have an abundance of non-Five Eyes nodes. That
price gets you VPN on five devices; iOS,  Android,  Windows,  OS X,  and
many Linuxes,  specifically including yours.

73s and best regards de K7AAY

Also j...@503bartley.com 503.343.9399 or 503.227.8539