On 10/21/16 1:53 PM, Tom wrote:
> Do we need to make a case/presentation to their board to make ourselves
> more visible? Can we give them some time to their cause, so we are not
> seen as inconvenience?

Step one is what both parties have proposed: "Join forces" on the PLUG
events so they are just formal enough to meet their mission (zero
concern) and eliminate any need to pay for access.

As for long-term. PLUG and Free Geek have had various forms of
partnerships for decades. The rise of their education classes is a huge
step forward for this type of "education" we both provide and if we all
had more time, we should be teaching courses there.

As you may or may not know, there was a risk they would lose their lease
during the housing boom. Fortunately, that storm passed and they are on
good footing. I have not met the new Executive Director but so far they
seem reasonable in the face of this little issue.

As for what Tomas is discussing, I would LOVE a facility with the nice
lecture space of PSU and the lab area of Free Geek, hosted by either
institution. (I know the two different locations suit different peole
better) Free access is a big plus because we can set up early (often a
problem at PSU) and staying late allows for in-depth conversations
(could be a risk at Free Geek now).

All things considered, I am very grateful to both PSU and Free Geek for
the spaces they provide PLUG and am happy to work around the quirks. The
same goes to SpireTech for hosting.

As for an action item here and now: If you have the time, please
consider getting involved with Free Geek, especially if it is PR or
fundraising-related. People come and go there and it always helps to
stay in active contact with them.

All the best,

Michael Dexter
PLUG Volunteer