On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 15:25:26 -0700
John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com> dijo:

>On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 11:04:30 -0700
>Galen Seitz <gal...@seitzassoc.com> dijo:
>
>>On 04/03/17 10:40, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>>> I am looking for a 2-bay USB enclosure, at least USB 3.0, with
>>> internal software capable of Raid 0. I have been looking at the ICY
>>> DOCK MB662U3-2S:

The shopping is done. I ordered two WD 8TB Red Pro drives (5 year
warranty) and the Mediasonic ProRaid HUR3-SU3S3 2 Bay 3.5" SATA Hard
Drive Enclosure - USB 3.0 & eSATA Support UASP and SATA III 6.0Gbps
Speed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KCEAXJW/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

The drives are coming from an eBay seller with two-day shipping. The
Mediasonic is coming from Mediasonic Inc, fulfilled by Amazon, expected
by April 10.

When it all gets here I will make a final backup of the current old and
end of life 5TB USB drive to the Synology, then pull the 6TB WD Red Pro
drive out of the Synology and set it aside. Then I will install the new
8TB drives in the Synology and set them up as Raid 0, and make sure the
computer can mount the Synology the same as it now does. And then I will
back up the old 5TB USB drive to the Synology again, now backing up to
the new drives with 16TB of space.

And finally, I will put the 6TB drive from the Synology into the new
Mediasonic USB enclosure and plug it into the computer, unplugging the
old 5TB drive to retire it for good. And then I will have some tricky
stuff to make sure all the programs and the operating system can find
and use the 6TB in the Mediasonic the same as they used to see and use
the old 5TB drive.

I hope my plan works. :)

Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions. :)