Disclaimer: I have no experience with Alpine or urxvt. In fact, I have
never hear of either and since I have not clue what they might be
google is not really helpful either.
With the above out of the way - your Copy & Paste action is most likely
routed through your Desktop environment. In KDE/Gnome there is setting
for Languages and Keyboards in their appropriate setting panels as well
as in the application defaults and your environment (login shell
LC_all/defaults......). I suspect that you are probably not a
mainstream guy, so before you say something like fvwm2, motif, CDE,
..... LXDE - these have language and keyboard settings too, and some
precedence for application and environment settings also - which could
mess up you Copy + Paste outcome.
Some email clients, office and editors have "Paste Special" or "Paste
as Text" function in menu - you could try those if that helps. Also if
your desktop environment runs on X you could also try to select the
text in terminal and try to paste it by middle click - if that is
wrong, perhaps look at your X settings (they are scattered all over the
place in /etc as well ac in your home and /tmp)
Good luck,
Tomas