On 04/18/2017 04:49 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    I have learned that the output of 'tree -d <directory>' is a file using
> the koi8-r Russian character set rather than us-ascii. When included in an
> e-mail message the file is rejected by a postfix UCE rule.
>
>    Can someone suggest where I can learn why tree produces output in this
> character set and whether it's possible to change that to plain ASCII?
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich

Hello Rich

I was out of town for a while and missed this thread.  I've poked around
and discovered that in Slackware 14.2 we have alpine 2.20.  There seems
to be a problem with alpine not properly supporting UTF-8 and so
defaults to US-ASCII. Unfortunately, when you then try to sent line
drawing characters, alpine "guesses" and picks a cyrillic char set.

I used the CLI mailx and "tree -d" was sent correctly as UTF-8.

After much pain relearning mutt, mutt does send "tree -d" correctly even
if the vi editor shows it as garbled.

You may have to use Thunderbird or similar as a work around. Also, you
can try sending as an attachment (with different extensions).

-Ed