On Wed, 26 Jul 2017, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I use Xfce4, but I didn't know about that feature. Where is it, or do I
> have to specify in the launch command?

John,

   I work with the panel so I don't know about icons or using the Xfce menu.

   The panel has a series of 'launchers,' the one displayed and others from
the same spot added to that list. In the properties widget for each
application are 4 text entry widgets: name, comment, command, and working
directory. The command line can be edited.

   For example, emacs which opens in an urxvt terminal has this command line:
/usr/bin/emacs -fg wheat -bg black -geometry 115x45+150+10

   The geometry specifies a width of 115 pixels and a height of 45 pixels
and places the upper left corner of the window at 150, 10 pixels (x, y).

   Another example: LyX which opens in its own window has this command line:
/usr/bin/lyx -geometry 1300x800+40+20

   You can identify the geometry by moving the pointer to the bottom right
corner and moving it slightly. A small window with the x and y sizes opens
in the center.

HTH,

Rich