Just a note.
I found out this week that the DHCP client in Linux eventually times out
trying to get a lease.  These machines won't recovery without manual
intervention unless there is a watchdog set.

On Aug 6, 2017 8:32 AM, "Dick Steffens" <d...@dicksteffens.com> wrote:

> On 08/05/2017 11:56 PM, Russell Senior wrote:
> > "Dick" == Dick Steffens <d...@dicksteffens.com> writes:
> >
> > Dick> Two times over the last three days my machine has dropped its
> > Dick> Ethernet connection. It doesn't say it's dropped, but I can't see
> > Dick> beyond the machine, not even other machines in the house. Using
> > Dick> the widget on the top bar on the Ubuntu MATE 16.04 screen I
> > Dick> manually drop and then reconnect, and all is well again.
> >
> > Dick> I've never had this happen on other machines running various
> > Dick> versions of Ubuntu. Any ideas on where to look to see why the
> > Dick> connection is dropping?
> >
> > Do you still have a dhcp lease?  That is, is there a reasonable ip
> > address attached to the interface?  Do you have a link?  When you say
> > "dropped" does that mean to anywhere?  Do you have a default route?
>
> Good questions. Next time it happens I'll check those. And yes,
> "dropped" does mean to anywhere. I have two other machines on my desk
> that it cannot see. They all go through the same switch to get to the
> router. I didn't check both, but I had no trouble getting out to the
> Internet with one of them.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

 Both under my last two ISP's (Verizon.com and Primus.ca) and my current ISP
(Bell.ca), I did experience  DHCP issues and drops, until I stopped allowing
the ISP set the DNS, and hard coded  for Google DNS IP's ... very little
trouble after that.

But your descriptons make me think either faulty cable  or NIC
Regards
Fred James