It can help to have a good/known DHCP server for troubleshooting.  I've
used various Cisco (router, switch or AP), Mikrotik, and Ubiquiti devices
as DHCP servers in the past without service issues. My main DHCP server is
actually an old web server running Ubuntu 8.04 on a 32-bit HTPC box.  Just
having decent DHCP server logs and a router or managed switch with decent
logs and some basic interface metrics for your physical or wireless
connections can eliminate a lot of uncertainty.

I've got a couple Ubuntu 16.04 boxes running on low power hardware that
don't seem to have issues with leases.

--
Ken