Hi folks,

This isn't strictly a Linux question, but since it is to power a Linux
machine (or several) I think it is probably close enough.

I have several Uninterruptible Power Supplies scattered around the
house. A week or so ago, one of them started beeping at me a few times a
day to let me know it thought its batteries needed replacing. Since it
tended to beep at me (at least when I heard it) at night, after
battery-supplier-store hours, I'd mentally note it and then the next day
I'd have forgotten about it. However, last night around 1am, things went
sideways. I'm not sure what the trigger was, but the UPS decided that if
I wasn't going to take it seriously, it was just going to to lights-out
completely dead. As I bypassed the UPS with a plain-old power strip, I
also found that one of my devices, a 16-port dumb network switch was not
entirely happy either. Its 12V ac adapter had apparently given up
(unloaded, I was seeing about 9V out the end). I replaced the wall wart
and switch function returned to normal.

The long-and-short of the matter is that I'm now in the market for a
replacement UPS. The old one was a pretty old APC Smart-UPS 1000,
probably 20-ish years old and had seen numerous battery replacements.

Does anyone have recent experience, either positive or negative, and/or
any advice on replacements. I'd consider a used older model. I actually
have two 12V 17A-hr SLA batteries on the shelf from a previous
misadventure (I managed to kill another UPS while removing the old
batteries, ripping a custom transformer off the UPS circuit board), so
bonus points if the UPS takes that size batteries. I am pretty sure I
got a replacement for it off ebay.

I recall Keith lamenting that Li-FeO4 backed UPSs were not on the market
not so long ago.

Anyway, I am soliciting advice to help broaden my long-but-narrow
personal experience.

Thanks!

--
Russell Senior