On 02/04/2018 08:00 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
My brother asked about receiving unsolicited emails after visiting a specific website. I don't use any of the providers he does. His interests are quite different than mine and I suspect we rarely, if ever, visit the the same sites.

I asked some OS agnostic questions. When I found that he had recently changed *OS _versions*, I mentioned it. In passing I mentioned that it was two versions of Windows. Some were apparently offended that their assistance was assisting a Windows user. For possible offense, I apologize.

King Beowulf's post causes me to realize that the underlying problem is cookie control and the use of free(sic) services/sites. Have routinely avoided unrestricted use of cookies, JavaScript, and so-called "free" services since the early days of WindowsXP.

What did I do wrong?
I am the family geek.
My brother uses *THAT* [description deleted] OS.
He asked a legitimate question that I could not answer.
I thought there was generic problem.
What would be acceptable to this OS explicit forum?

P.S. Earlier this A.M. I received a panic *HELP* email from a friend from the last century. He users *THAT* OS. I believe there are appropriate Linux tools available to address the underlying problem.

May I ask related OS agnostic questions?