On Mon, 12 Mar 2018, Ken Stephens wrote:

Is the file on the flash drive an ISO image? If so, try the external USB
CDROM Drive. If it does not work, you have lost nothing.

Ken,

  No.  The BIOS is an .exe file and there are several files for MS-DOS so
the flash drive is seen as a bootable floppy disk with some version of DOS.

  My Dell Latitute portables have a boot drive option for external USB
devices; the desktop does not. However, ...

  Perhaps with no disk in the optical drive and the flash drive plugged in
the system will boot from it. I didn't see this option yesterday, thinking
the BIOS would differentiate between a cdrom and flash drive. Will try it
and post the results later this morning.

Thanks,