On Sat, 17 Mar 2018, John Jason Jordan wrote:

I already tried it with the new desktop, following all the advice from
Ubuntu and other places online, and again I have failed. I always have my
laptop with me at the Clinic, so I'm wondering - if I bring the new
desktop would we be able to connect it to the laptop via Free Geek's
network, or otherwise, so that with the sage advice of those more clever
than me I can finally get each computer to see and work with files on the
other computer?

John,

  I might be there. If so, I'll bring a cross-over cable (the orange ones).
That allows direct connections between two hosts.

Rich