On 04/11/2018 01:09 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018, John Jason Jordan wrote:

I already tried it with the new desktop, following all the advice from
Ubuntu and other places online, and again I have failed. I always have my
laptop with me at the Clinic, so I'm wondering - if I bring the new
desktop would we be able to connect it to the laptop via Free Geek's
network, or otherwise, so that with the sage advice of those more clever
than me I can finally get each computer to see and work with files on the
other computer?

John,

  I might be there. If so, I'll bring a cross-over cable (the orange ones).
That allows direct connections between two hosts.

Modern (anything built in the last 10 to 15 years) ethernet interfaces support Auto MDI-X, which eliminates the need for a crossover cable. Additionally, both of his laptop and new desktop will be gigabit ethernet, which never needs a crossover.

See the Auto MDI-X section here:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-dependent_interface>

galen
--