I was kind of curious what is Google Earth. So ....

I tried GEarth on bunch of Ubuntu installs both 16.04 and 18.04
I experienced no problems with GoogleEarth after doing following:
1. Download:
   wget -Nc https://dl.google.com/dl/earth/client/current/google-earth-
pro-stable_current_amd64.deb
   You might need to visit https://www.google.com/earth/versions/ in
browser
2. Install:
   sudo dpkg -i google-earth-pro-stable_current_amd64.deb
   (the installation added repository to
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-earth-pro.list)
   So, it should be updating itself normally when running apt upgrade
3. Start it:
   google-earth-pro &
It works as expected - according to Google's web screenshots.

My Ubuntu installations are mostly default without any of odd bits and
pieces of customization often discussed here.

In terms of your issues I'd try to:
* remove it and reinstall by:
  sudo apt remove google-earth-pro-stable
  sudo apt update
  sudo install google-earth-pro-stable

If that does not help - are you using X or Wayland? I believe that I am
 using X on both 16.04 as well as 18.04.

I cannot offer much help with GUI type problems as I am not a GUI kind
of guy. It just work for me in the default shape and form and I do not
feel the need to fight little changes and annoyances    with
trivial workarounds - I do not mind adjusting self as things change.

Hope it helps, Tomas