The problem in that screenshot may not be related to Google earth.

It looks like an issue with the GUI rendering system. Unity uses
compositing (with GPU acceleration) to render all windows, but so does
Google Earth. So the points of failure could be any of the following:
1) google earth was built improperly, or for a different version of Ubuntu
2) your graphics driver is not installed correctly (this is common for
nvidia cards)
3) ubuntu's desktop compositor is doing something stupid

Rule out #1 by checking the file used to install Google Earth. Make sure
the ubuntu version listed by the .deb is the version you are running
Ruling out #2 is a bit more difficult. Maybe post your GPU brand/model and
the driver version you are using here?

Rule out #3 by running the same Google Earth package, on the same system,
but a different DE. If it works on XFCE and not Unity then you know where
the problem is.
What you are seeing isn't actually that uncommon for an ubuntu-based system.