On 5/27/19 5:59 PM, Michael Christopher Robinson wrote:
> A lot of people seem to favor Ubuntu over all other flavors of Linux.
> I don't.  I have heard that in the Ubuntu world something considered
> important today can disappear tomorrow.  Is this a problem?  Yes,
> especially if there is a high learning curve to the software program.
> Specifically, I have heard that there are some photo management
> applications and such that were mainline for a while and then
> arbitrarily trashed and replaced with something completely different.
> For this reason, I stay away from Ubuntu.  I prefer Slackware, Debian,
> or a Redhat variant to Ubuntu.  Ubuntu just doesn't seem stable to me.
> Ubuntu seems like an okay choice if you don't upgrade, but everyone
> should upgrade and install, ahem, security fixes.  Am I being
> reasonable in my opinion of Ubuntu or not?  Have things changed for
> the better and I just don't realize it?
>
>      -- Michael C. Robinson

There are a number of issues that pop up on this list re: Ubuntu that
never vex me in Slackware.  Every Slackware edition is LTS. Security
updates don't break the install as is often the case with Unbuntu and
some other distros.  It is a very conservative Linux distribution that
is fanatical about stability.

(that said: there are those here who have tried and failed to use
Slackware effectively, but I think that is more of a lack of
understanding of what an operating system is and how to maintain one.
and not the fault of Slackware.)

At home I just need a box that works. I do not want to come home to find
my computers inoperable after an update.

Thus, I think your opinion regarding Ubuntu is reasonable.

-Ed