On Wed, 26 Jun 2019, Rich Shepard wrote:

Trying to shrink large size pdf page to letter size sometimes fails, telling
me, "The call to 'pdflatex' resulted in an error." I use the --no-tidy error
to produce an log file, but it makes no sense to me.

The landscape oriented file is 792 x 1224 points and I want to use pdfjam to
fit it on a letter size page: 792 x 612.

Found a working solution: 'mogrify -resize ...'. What's interesting is that
I specified 612 pixels on the command line but mogrify set the value at 512
pixels. That's easy to live with.