I highly suspect much of the confusion, both by the system,
and us humans, is that these drives are external USB drives
and they get assigned different drive designators at different
times what was once /dev/sdb may next be /dev/sdc.

I further suspect the error from logwatch is an event in
history that has long since been resolved and it just
continues to report it as a recent event.

> So based on the info you've given, more information is required to
> understand the problem.
>
> Basically:
> - your logwatch messages says you have a problem with the EXT4 filesystem
> on /dev/sdb.
> - you say /dev/sdb is formatted as EXT3.
>
> That doesn't line up. There's no reason why you should be mounting an EXT3
> partition as EXT4 unless you have a specific reason to do so ( and I very
> much doubt that you do).
>
> Since logwatch isn't giving you the error, check dmesg for sdb related
> messages:
> $ dmesg |grep sdb

This many not be looking at exactly what you need, better:
dmesg | grep 'sd[a-z]'

> The output of the above command might include the error that logwatch is
> referring to. if you are unable to find the exact error in dmesg, reproduce
> it using the following steps (as root)
> $ umount /dev/sdb
> $ dmesg > log-before.txt
> $ mount /dev/sdb
> $ dmesg > log-after.txt
> $ diff log-before.txt log-after.txt
>
> The output of diff will give you only the messages that occured AFTER you
> mounted /dev/sdb. Any errors, warnings, and messages that occur as part of
> the mount process will be shown there, in all their gory detail. If there
> is in fact a problem with this particular drive, you will see it in the
> difference between the before and after logs.

mount does not report errors to stdout??

Rod Grimes                                                 rgri...@freebsd.org