On Fri, 6 Dec 2019, Rich Shepard wrote:

Booted the Dell 2100 with the new router connected (eth0) and powered up.
ip add show
confirmed that eth0 is UP.

Pointing firefox to 192.168.1.1 brought up the ER-X login page and the
default username/password pair worked. Now I'll change the admin username and
password and learn if restoring the saved config.boot file makes it a
working router.

That was yesterday.

The router is still set to 192.168.1.1; all I did was change the username
and password, then used the CLI to shut down the router.

Now to restore the saved config.boot.

Laptop connected to eth0 on the router; router power-cycled so it booted.
The interface is up:

# ip add show eth0 2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether b8:ac:6f:69:63:ca brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet6 fe80::baac:6fff:fe69:63ca/64 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

But now I'm seeing this connection problem again:

# ping 192.168.1.1 connect: Network is unreachable

Reading the ip cheat sheet and other resources I don't see the ip options,
object, or command I need to re-establish communications between the laptop
and router. What is that command?

As an aside, if an interface works (or should work) when it's UP what is the
role of RUNNING I sometimes see in an interface's configuration?