On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 03:43:30PM -0700, Michael Dexter wrote:
> What are your thoughts on virtual or substitute activities?

A high level of forbearance will be required, because social
cues will be absent, and many of us are socially inept even
with F2F interactions.

I'm a remote member of a bay area futurist group whose monthly
meetings I attend in person perhaps three times per decade.
They moved to an online format for COVID, which allowed me
to "e-meet" without the familiarity that accumulates over
years and dozens of interactions.

Online, I made a hypothetical comment including "you would"
(which should have been phrased as "one would"), which was
interpreted by the just-prior-speaker as a disparaging
personal comment, leading to brief upset.

Fortunately, we resolved that quickly, no permanent harm
done, with the just-prior-speaker laughing the most at
the trap we had just escaped.  After which, I S.T.F.U.

Lesson learned: In a F2F situation, listener facial
expression changes would have restructured my hypothetical
comment on the fly; perhaps none of us would have noticed.
Online, in a user group with a high proportion of Asperger
and social-isolate personalities, Things Could Get Bad.

A PLUG E-meeting might work out well given an experienced
neurotypical moderator able to call an immediate "TIME OUT"
just after an easily misconstrued phrase or example.

John Jordan, who understands language pitfalls better than
most, would be my candidate for this role.  However, given
our wide range of psychologies and sensitivities, it might
be too much for even an experienced professional moderator.

When choosing an online venue, consider how the design of
a particular venue might amplify or minimize this kind of
problem.  The online venue should be platform-general, no
windoze/android requirements, no audio/visual gingerbread
or animated distractions from the speaker.

Personally, given my hearing and temperament problems, I
probably won't participate; I prefer isolation to being
an irritant.  When life returns to normal after the COVID
crisis, I hope PLUG will not be permanently fractured by
online-media-caused feuds and hurt feelings.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com