On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 22:15:12 -0800
Ben Koenig <techkoe...@gmail.com> dijo:

>> Perhaps now would be the time to dig out those old emails and
>> consider some of the native alternatives rejected in favor of RAID0.

>Unfortunately it looks like RAID might not be the culprit if his NVMe
>/dev nodes are moving around. RAID0 isn't the cause but it will make
>things more complicated when something fails further down in the stack.
>
>If his system is dynamically naming devices in /dev/nvme* then that
>needs to be dealt with before even thinking about RAID. Not really
>sure where to start looking at that off the top of my head since I was
>under the assumption that this wasn't supposed to happen with NVMe.

There was recently a bit of discussion about LVM, and Rich sent me some
links. I tried to read and understand it, but it seemed even more
complicated than RAID. Plus, several years ago, when I was using Fedora,
one of their obligatory updates changed my setup to LVM (without
telling me that it was going to do so), and I couldn't get rid of it.
That left a bad taste in my mouth and I have always avoided LVM ever
since. But I must admit that my dislike of LVM is pure bias without
much science.

I am more concerned about devices renaming themselves and changing how
they are mounted, all without any input from me. About January 20 I lost
the first array that I had been running without a problem for about a
month. And now my re-creation of that array is playing up after only a
week. As I mentioned before, after rebooting the drives appear fine,
read-write, but when I launched Ktorrent it complained that about half
of the files it was seeding were missing. The files are all there and I
can do anything I want to with them, but something is screwy with
access. And why just half of the files? Either they should all work or
they should all fail.

Right now my money is on a defective drive. I need to find some tools
for diagnosis and learn how to use them. All four are brand new Intel
drives. If they all check out OK, then it's time to consider other
possibilities.