On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 10:40:04 -0800
David <dafr+p...@dafr.us> dijo:

>On 2/17/21 4:40 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
>> Yes, device names may change on booting or when plugged in, but don't
>> device names stay put once you are booted or a drive is plugged in?
>
>This sounds like a cable or hardware issue to me. If a drive is
>mounted and something happens and the kernel isn't involved, you will
>get a new mount address of the same thing.
>
>Either the drives are going to sleep, as already suggested, or there
>is a glitch in the communication path which is causing a sporadic
>disconnect/reconnect sequence.
>
>I have seen this periodically with USB, and TB3 likely uses something
>similar, where udev is involved.
>
>Sorry that I don't have a solution, but if you have another TB3 cable
>you could use, that may help narrow things down if the problem goes
>away.

It's definitely not the cable. I have three TB3 cables, and they have
been swapped, yet the problem remains.

The four U.2 drives are plugged into two PCI cards (two drives per
card) which are then plugged into a four-slot enclosure. The enclosure
has two TB3 ports, but no on-off switch. When a powered TB3 cable is
plugged into either port the enclosure automatically powers on, and it
powers off when the cable is unplugged. And its fan is loud enough that
there is no mistaking when it is running. It is possible that there was
a power loss of only a few milliseconds - enough to un-mount the
array, but not long enough that the fan stopped running. But since it
is TB3, when the power is restored, why doesn't the array automatically
mount?

Besides, looking at the NVMe drives in /dev, when things go upside
down I see nvme5 to nvme8 listed, and those drives don't exist. After
rebooting they are no longer listed. The array is made from nvme0 to
nvme3, and nvme4 is inside my laptop and holds partitions for / and
/home. And from the command line I get screwy results from the mount
command - just 'mount' does not list the array (i.e., it must not be
mounted), but if I try to mount it I get an error message that it is
already mounted. Yet the file manager does not see it, nor does the ls
command.