On Sun, 13 Feb 2022, Tomas Kuchta wrote:

security zealots who implemented authentication for just about anything
(filesystem, video, sound, usb, applications, etc.)

They may be zealots to you, but to many of us they are Lawyer Avoidance Gurus. The number of people waiting to sue institutions for not implementing every last bit of security theater is large and growing.

Obviously, my point of view on the subject is not definitive, and I'm not trying to justify the situation, but the indisputable fact is that there are thousands of IT professionals who -- supporting open source software by filing tickets, submitting patches, and writing documentation -- increasingly answer to their legal departments.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinl...@madboa.com