On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 12:24:09 -0800
wes <p...@the-wes.com> dijo:

>On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 11:04 AM John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 17:14:19 -0800
>> wes <p...@the-wes.com> dijo:
>>
>> >On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 12:49 PM John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com>
>> >wrote:
>> When I ran ifconfig it gave me enx+long-number which was the
>> ethernet, and no IP address for it, and it gave me virbr0 with an
>> address of 192.168.122.1. This has to be the wifi, but where did the
>> 122 come from? My network is192.168.1.x.
>

>virbr0 is for virtualization software. virtualbox, vmware, etc. that's
>where the 122 comes from.

That's interesting. Of course, I spent hours yesterday fiddling with
VirtualBox, and finally got it working. But since last night it
has been shut down. And just to be sure there are no virtual machines
still running, just now I rebooted, but ifconfig still shows virbr0,
with the same funny IP address. Is it possible that VirtualBox running
Windows 10 (the only machine that I ran) created this 'device' for the
machine? And if it did, when I shut down Windows 10 and VirtualBox, why
didn't it delete it? I might add that it doesn't appear on my other two
computers.

I thought it might be a neighbor's wifi, so I tried iwlist. It showed
half a dozen wifi networks (including my own), but iwlist doesn't
list the IP address of the network, and ifconfig doesn't display the
name for 192.168.122.1.

Before running iwlist I tried the network icon in the panel, because if
you click on it you can see all the networks available. But it's not in
the panel on the Latitude, nor is it available to be added to the
panel. I can't find it in Synaptic. It's in the panel on my other
Xubuntu computers, where it appears in the Notification Area panel
plugin. Apparently on Xubuntu 21.10 the Notification Area has been
removed. Xubuntu 21.10 does have a penal plugin for the network, called
'Net,' but if you click on it all you get is the name of the connection
device and the last four messages - no options to connect to other
networks, list of available networks - basically useless.

I also tried to run network-manager, which Synaptic says is installed,
but evidently it never occurred to the writers of the documentation to
tell users HOW TO LAUNCH IT! I tried nm, network-manager,
network-manager-applet (with and without dashes), and numerous others,
all of which return 'no such file.'

Meantime, I can ping 192.168.122.1, although the ping command just says
that it connected and the time it took for the response. And I tried to
connect to it by putting it in the URL bar in Chromium, but got
'refused to connect.'

>> At this point I was finally able to launch seahorse. I explored it a
>> bit, but couldn't figure out how to use it. One of the buttons that I
>> clicked on displayed 'Keyring Locked.' I could probably have unlocked
>> it, but I left it for now because I want it to be unlocked at login,
>> but that option must be buried someplace that I didn't look at.

>there isn't a specific option to have the keyring unlocked by default.
>you have to implicitly do this by unlocking the keyring, and then
>setting the password to empty.

I click on Unlock Login Keyring and it just asks for my password. If I
enter it all it does is unlock the keyring; there is no option to set
the password to empty, although there is an option 'Unlock this keyring
when I'm logged in.' But the checkbox has always been selected, yet it
still asks me repeatedly to unlock the keyring.

I mostly agree with points about security from Tomas. The Latitude will
be used just for reading electronic books and articles; it has no
sensitive information on it, not even my bookmarks for Firefox and
Chromium. Security needs are negligible. Yet Ubuntu forces me to give
the secret handshake for permission to go to the bathroom. Bah.