A few posts ago someone reported seeing 10 .tmp files per song in 1.9.7
compared to 2 in 1.9.6. I suppose I could try it to find out.

I doubt there's a hard rule as to how many files are being created. Previously it probably created seven, or one, or 20. We don't know. Because we didn't watch it. Now we watch it happen. This doesn't mean it didn't happen before. Really, nothing in this regard has changed. Feel free to compare the binaries included in 1.9.7 back to 1.9.1. This didn't change. And it's that helper binary which creates these files.

--

Michael