There is a major difference in behavior in the /tmp folder.

There should be less of those files than before. I assume you didn't pay any attention before?

I see lots of .tmp???? files appearing, files with the same size create
at the exact same time and with a few seconds difference, for some songs
it 3 files for others there are 10+ files. Some are deleted, some are
left behind.

This usually happens when a track is being skipped or otherwise not played to the end. I can easily produce those files by hitting the FWD button quickly. But the files should be cleaned up every now and then. The next update will be even more thorough cleaning up.

It takes a long time before first songs starts to play.
Sometimes the song plays nicely, sometimes the player starts and stops,
on the same song or skips to the next.

Connect mode or regular playback through LMS?

--

Michael