johnbeverley wrote:
> Having messed around with those settings (and obviously heard things
> worse as a result) I unsuccessfully did search around for a listing of
> the default settings for "filetypes".
>
> Can you point me at such a listing?

There is no listing.  The default setting is everything enabled -
anything explicitly "disabled" is not default.

It is possible you may have installed plugin or other files that have
changed the LMS supplied transcoding.  The main default transcoding
settings include:  Native, lame, flac, faad and sox - alone or in
combination. The less common formats have their own transcoder which I
can't remember such as wvunpack and mppdec.

Plugins to support non standard LMS formats or extend existing ones may
have their own transcoding such as HLS aka Apple m3u8 using ffpmeg or
avconv.