One question I have for you: I assume the limitation of not having an
account playing on more than one (unsynced) device simultaneously
applies. If that's the case, is there any way I can force one player to
use my account and another, say, to use my wife's. I won't be using the
Connect feature, I'd be looking to do this through the player menu i.e.
to select playlists.

If you have multiple accounts configured in Spotty, you should have an option in the menu to select the "active" user. Or you can configure LMS to display a menu item for every account.

--

Michael