mrw wrote:
> Good luck !
>
> I recall a few years ago regularly seeing "doubly encoded/converted"
> stuff, e.g. utf8 source text treated as iso-8859-1, and then converted
> to utf8 all over again... all very confusing and almost impossible to
> deal with in a mechanical way.
>
> But I'm not so aware of that sort of issue now, presumably people have
> tidied up their back-end processes over time.

I'm in luck - The Extra plugin passes all the text to Player in params
at the end the iplayer URL - so it looks like all the changes (the same
Encode::decode('utf8') just need to be be applied in Player plugin to
all params in addition to the uri_unescape.

Yeah, the problem is when a UTF8 string get HTML encoded and the extra
step is needed when decoding to make the string explicitly a UTF8 string
as there is no way to tell how to treat the HTML encoded string.