timmoss501 wrote:
> I was hoping the FLAC trials would continue as well. Did anyone else
> notice they were running at around 1.2Mb/s - 1.3Mb/s whiuch is almost
> PCM bandwidth, can't help wondering whether they were encoding the sum &
> difference OS feed into FLAC then converting converting back at the
> reciever. As FLAC is uses sum and dinnference as part of its encoding,
> the encoding would convert incoming sum & difference back to L & R
> during compression. this is a bit of a guess though.
>
> Once again, a huge thank you to BPA for all your hard work. Your work is
> invaluable and what keeps Squeezebox as my system of choice, no other
> system gets such informative and prompt support!

Flac was always an experiment - it'd be hard to justify the load vs
listenership.  Similarly the spatial stereo test.
When I was doing testing - the flac stream wasn't running at 1.2Mb/s
more like 450-700kb/sec - could you have been looking at decompressed ?
How did you measure this rate ?

BBC said speed was 550kbits/s with peaks of 1Mb/sec
https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2017-04-radio-3-high-quality-flac-dash