I think I have found something,

All of my tests above have been with an SB3.
After the full system reboot the FLAC URL metadata was restored but the
FLAC Plugin was still stuttering and unplayable.
I switched the Player to use Proxied Streaming and now the FLAC Plugin
is working. Hooray!!
I recall Philippe_44 was talking about buffer size a while ago which
presumably becomes irrelevant if you use Proxied Streaming?
Why is the Player / Plugin susceptible in Direct Streaming mode but the
radio channel mode not?

The mp3 via plugin is still not getting cover art but I don't really
care about that.

My uninterrupted listening yesterday (all via the plugin) was elsewhere
using a pCP running as both player and LMS - bigger buffer?

VB2.4[/B] STORAGE *QNAP TS419P (NFS)
[B]Living Room* - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
*Office* - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3
-> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom
*Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV)* - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
Everything controlled by iPeng