Knowing that the OP is the only one to see the problem, I think he has
by mistake statically linked players with the Group player

I can suggest, Michael, that you change Daemon.pmn in Start()

   $self->name($client->isSynced() ? Slim::Player::Sync::syncname($client) :
$client->name);

by

   $self->name($client->isSynced() && $client->model ne 'group' ?
Slim::Player::Sync::syncname($client) : $client->name);

I'll do that. Though I believe this will only "fix" the confusing naming, but not the underlying issue of players (group or not) disappearing and re-appearing - which does trigger the re-start of the daemon (with varying names).

Thanks for looking into this.

--

Michael